HilltopConservancy - bicycling

AllMembers at HilltopConservancy.org AllMembers at HilltopConservancy.org
Sun Sep 18 21:21:52 EDT 2005

Bicycles

It is important that the Hilltop be protected from misuse.   ATV's are
clearly incompatible with any legitimate use of the Hilltop.

Bicycles are another story.   There are paved roads and other improved, but
unpaved roads on the Hilltop.   We have already encouraged bicycle riding on
those roads.   There are convenient access points in North Caldwell and on
Fairview Avenue near the Verona-Cedar Grove border.

Some residents of our communities have the good fortune live within a few
minutes walk of one of the Hilltop access points.    Almost all of the
residents of the towns surrounding the Hilltop can reach the reservation by
bicycle.   Bicycles are a healthy and environmentally-friendly mode of
transportation.

It would probably be best to restrict bicycles to woods roads and roads with
hard pavement.   The following trails are not suitable for bicycles over
most of their lengths:

    Old Hilltop Trail

    White Rock Trail

    Second Mountain Trail

    Fox Trail

    Watchung Connector.

The Lenape Trail follows the West Essex Bikeway [an abandoned railbed]
through Cedar Grove and Verona.  The railbed is suitable for wide-tire
bicycles. The railbed was purchased by the county as a multiple-use trail
for hiking, bicycling, cross-country skiing and other non-motorized use.
The Arrow Trail connects the Hilltop trail system to the Lenape Trail.

Charlie

Charles E Wilson
19 Highview Terrace
Cedar Grove NJ 07009-1505